Sunday, December 19, 2010

Mommy Dearest

There is no such thing as a perfect parent or a perfect person.  As children, our parents and especially our mothers, are our everything.  They are God in the flesh to us.  We have no cognition that they can do wrong or that they are less than perfect.  As we get older and the veil is lifted we are often surprised and maybe slightly distraught that this person we saw as perfect is actually only human.  With maturity we are able to reconcile the fact that although they are not perfect the love and nurturing they show us is more than enough.  We no longer want or expect perfection, we accept her with all her flaws and love her just the same.

What happens, however, when we are not given the chance to reconcile our expectations of perfection with the reality of humanness because our mother constantly keeps the flame of disappointment alive?  In other words, how can we grow to have a normal, adult relationship of mutual respect, admiration, and love with out mothers if she constantly does things which are detrimental to the mother-daughter relationship?  The answer is that it is impossible to have this type of relationship with a mother who has no desire to build a healthy relationship with her daughter.  The relationship that is not built on mutual respect will be fickle and unrewarding.

So what type of mother chooses to sabotage her relationship with her child? We will get to that in the future, but first let us talk about you.  How do you feel about your relationship with your mother?  Is it complicated?  Too complicated to even put into words?  If so, you are not alone.  There are many daughters who have trouble navigating the relationship with their mothers for various reasons.  Sometimes daughters are the instigators of issues that arise between themselves and their mothers, but often it is the parent, the mother who is the major cause of friction.  Why? Because some mothers do not like their daughters.  Yes, there are mothers who, for whatever reason, do not like their daughters.  How can you tell if your mother does not like you?  I will give you some pointers, but first let me stress that this is not about vilifying mothers while making daughters look like innocent victims.  To the contrary.  In any dysfunctional relationship there are at least two people partly responsible, and daughters play a part in sustaining the dysfunctional dynamic.

Here are some questions you should ask yourself to determine if your mother dislikes you:

1) Does my mother constantly undermine my attempts to be successful?
2) Does it feel like I can never do anything right in my mother's eyes?
3) Am I constantly bending over backwards to please her?
4) Does my mother talk about me behind my back or try to turn my siblings against me?
5) Does my mother send me mixed signals, one minute she loves me the next she is angry with me?
6) Does my mother blame me for everything that goes wrong?
7) Does my mother attack my physical looks or make snide or sideways comments about my physical appearance?
8) Does she call me names?
9) Does she accuse my father of loving me more than her, or of taking my side?
10) Does she try to steal my shine? Does she take the credit for things I do?
11) Does my mother try to make me feel guilty if I don't do things her way? Does she lay the guilt trip on me?
12) Does my mother accuse me of of not caring about her or ignoring her?
13) Do I feel like my life revolves around making my mother happy?
14) Does she undermine your authority with your children" (i.e. gifting child with cell phone when you have made it clear you do not want your child with a cell phone)
15) Does she embarrass you in front of other people?
16) Does she threaten physical harm to me if I do something she doesn't like?


How you answer the above questions will give you a better understanding of how your mother feels about you.  When using the word dislike here, remember that the word can be used interchangeably with the word "ambivalent", and/or "jealous".  Think about the above questions and your answers to them.  These questions are a good starting point for further conversation on the matter.  Do feel free to let us know your story or to ask questions here.  Further information and discussion will be forthcoming.

4 comments:

  1. I too was abused, neglected and made to feel less of a human being. My mother hated my sisters and I because we were the product of an affair. She met my father and my sister's father in 1948. They met on a blind date and couldn't get enough of each other. Outside of the bedroom, all they did was argue and fuss and fight. My mother didn't want to work and this made her lose favor in my father's eyes. She went on to meet her future husband in 1950. Even though she was married, she continued to see my biological father. Now picture this, her husband was sterile and they really didn't have much of a sex life it appears. So when she became pregnant, the baby was up for grabs. Well, when my older sister was born she looked just like him and had his coloring, so he was sure that she was his child. Later on down the line, here I come, looking just like my sister with the "light skin and funny colored eyes". She loved that about my father, but despised us girls for it. She would go on to have yet another baby with yet some other man that she reaaly didn't know. Now this dark skinned baby literally broke the camel's back for her husband, our "Daddy". He was all we knew. I found out at the tender age 14...my father called like he always did on the phone for my birthday. I overheard him telling his new "bird" at the time, not to tell me that he was my "real" father, bu they didn't want to tell me out of fear of me finding out the truth. I was devasted...everything I knew up to that point was one big, fat lie. Oh, and let me say, before I learned the truth, mother had treated us terribly up to that point. So I was being hated for something I knew absolutely nothing about...because when she looked at my sister and I, we were a constant reminder of her cheating. She was always angry, hostile, distant, sarcastic and alienated us from all of the family on three sides...hers, her husband's and our father's people. This feeling never goes away and I deal with it every day. People are totally shocked when I tell them little details about what we went through. We don't look like we were abused or neglected, so it doesn't seem possible in their eyes. We all have attachment disorder and find it really hard to maintain adult relationships. All we have is each other...One day I might just be able to forgive my parents for their ignorant, selfish behavior...but that day has yet to come....CC

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can honestly say yes to all but the last question

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes to all except 16. I don't know how much more of her crap I can take. I'm done with her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Im 16 yrs old. Im in 11th class. My mother dislikes and loathes me . Everytime she enters the room she screams . I dont even say anything she just screams at me yesterday she threw a plate at me and it broke and i got a bad cut which kept bleeding for several hours but i couldnt even ask anyone to help me bandage it . Today i asked her for food and she screamed at me saying all sorts of horrible things and cursing me and saying that i am the biggest mistake that she ever made i make her house and her life a hell and i dont deserve anyone and that im such a horrible person that no one will ever love me . Im a bitch according to her and the only reason that im being food and clothes and a house to live in is because of her generosity. I have no idea what i do to make her loathe me .
    I top in school every year i have 3 gold medals in academics i dont do drugs or drink i always do as she asks.
    I have a brother who is elder to me by 5 yrs .he is in college and he smikes does drugs and drinks everyday . My mother knows all of this and yet doesnt say anything. She loves and adores her son more than anything in the world toh he barely passes and his talents lie only in smoking and drinking .
    I have no idea what to do pls can someone advice me

    ReplyDelete