Thursday, December 4, 2014

Choosing Sides

One thing I have learned in this journey is that despite assurances they do not choose sides, most people do.  It is incredibly difficult for a person to remain neutral in the midst of family dysfunction.  In life it is natural for people to choose an allegiance.  Are you Democrat or Republican?  Do you prefer chocolate cake or vanilla?  We all have things we agree with, and things we do not really like.  In relationships, things are no different.  Rest assured that if you have had a difficult relationship with your mother, and your family knows about it, they have already tried you and came up with their verdict.  So in your family are you the victim or the problem?

For years my sister promised me she was neutral.  Assured over and over again that she would not pick a side in this ongoing battle between my mother and I, I found myself many times hesitantly revelaing things about my personal life to her.  She was my sister, and sister's are supposed to be best friends, right?  When I had family problems she was usually the first to know, or at least the one to know the most intimate details.  She and my mother were always closer than my mother and I, but I was only slightly worried my sister would go back and repeat what I would tell her.  Time and time again I would find that my mother would have knowledge of things going on in my life I had not told her and deep down inside I knew my sister was going back and telling, yet I think I was so desperate to have a family that I overlooked it time and time again.

In my extended family I have always been the villain.  Running away and putting my mother through hell as a teenager got me labeled a problem child.  My rebellious nature sticks in their minds and they cannot seem to get past that.  It is hard for them to believe that I am not the issue or trouble maker.  Choosing to stay to myself has not helped my cause.  Because of all the friction between my mother and myself I normally choose to stay away from family functions.  There have been times of peace between my mother and I and during those times I would show up but by and large I am a mystery to my extended family.  What they know of me and who I am comes largely from my mother has told them.

A recent death in the family brought us all together as a family.  During that trying time  I got a very clear view of who was on my side and who had been sucked into her lies and deceit.  I was very surprised to learn that aunts whom I thought did not like me were actually the ones who ran to my side, and those who I thought I was cool with totally flipped on me.  It was a very difficult lesson to learn.  In hindsight, which is always twenty-twenty, I wish I had showed up more instead of cowering in a corner afraid to be seen or heard and afraid of judgement.  I wish I would have stood up for myself and let them get to know me for themselves instead of leaving it up to my mother to paint a picture of who I am.

Remember that you cannot convince anyone to like you, including your mother.  All you can really do is continue to live your life the best way you know how and try to be an example of love and grace.  Don't get angry at the people in your life who have chosen to side with your mother.  Instead, continue to love them as you remember that your mother is very likely manipulation and controlling them the same way she tried to do with you.  Although my mother has repeatedly treated my sister poorly, my sister has unfortunately decided to give her total allegiance to my mother.  Understand that some people are more easily controlled than others and be thankful you are not one of them, or that you are learning to not be one of them.

Please feel free to join my Facebook group, "Hated Child".  It is a closed group but I would love to have more hated daughters there so we can continue this dialogue.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Golden Girl!! Your story sounds almost exactly like mine except my mom and sister adore and idolize each other. My question to you is how old are you? How bad were your fights in high school? Mine were really really bad and when I moved out of the house when I was 17 my relationship with my mom was pretty much gone. We would see each other at holidays and we'd pretend to like each other as not to upset the rest of the family. I always accepted that when a person reached adulthood there is no need for a mom but soon realized rhrough my friends in college and early adulthood that even a daughter who is an adult still needs a mom for support in many ways. My mom showed me no love or support in any way shape or form since the really bad fight we got in when I was in high school. NONE. I'm incredibly independent and havent needed a mommy so to speak but what guts me is the deep, meaningful, connected, fantastic relationship she has with my sister. They are incredibly close and functional and rub their closeness in my face whenever I'm around. I've told my mom that I think she's hates me and hasn't forgiven me for the fights in high school and she gets REALLY mad. I site ALL of the examples to her of how pitifully estranged we are but she denies them even though there is documented truth 100 percent. I told her I hope she goes to counseling to learn to forgive me and she gets enraged with anger. My sister doesn't understand how my mom could possibly hate me as she and my mom have an incredibly loving relationship. In fact my sister called me every name in the book for calling my mom on the carpet. She was furious at me for confronting my mom in how I know she hates me and why....I told them both a year ago I needed a break and didnt want to speak with either of them. It's just hard to be a part of that dynamic......My instincts are screaming that something I said to my mom in the fight when I was 17 has scarred her and she never forgave me. Not really sure what to do at this point. I can't be fake and pretend so I've bowed out.....,



    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been thinking about how these mothers triangulate with their children and turn one against the other, etc. Mine is trying to do that with my brother. My mother is terrible. Her husband (my step-father) violated me sexually 10 years ago, and they stayed married. She didn't have any compassion toward me whatsoever, and she didn't admit that she played a huge part in it. She's never given me a real apology about it. She just seems very concerned about "her marriage". I took her out of my life last year, forever. I told her that until she gets rid of her pervert husband, it's over. Best decision I've ever made. I realize now that I'm older and sober (I was a super alcoholic for many years) that she didn't protect or defend me because she hates me. She's been jealous my whole life, always making me feel ashamed when I enjoyed anything or was good at anything. I was not allowed to have my own identity, feelings, or opinions. I was her property. She's a classic narcissistic mother and I realized recently that she does hate me. Like, I never felt love from her. I know what love feels like now, true love and caring, and I NEVER felt that from her. Even when I broke it off with her I only felt anger from her, not sadness. And it was a creepy anger. Like, it's hard to describe but I felt a creepiness about it, like she's evil.

    I'm not sure how to go about my relationship with my brother. They are still very close and I am also close with him but since I've realized all of this stuff about her, I feel a little betrayed by him. I've told him everything and he doesn't see it. Being around my awful step-father is also okay with him too and that's the worst part. He's otherwise a smart and caring person, so the only thing I can think of is that he's still under our mother's spell. He won't stand up to her and allows himself to be manipulated by her. Anyway, thank you all for your comments and posts. I'm so glad I found this blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I could help you. Unfortunately evil is how I perceive my mother. Compared to some of the stories I have seen on this site I feel somewhat ashamed to even complain about my mother because I know her evil ways pale in comparison to some. Nonetheless her influence on my life can only be described as negative. Feel free to join the Facebook site for Hated Child https://www.facebook.com/groups/256985481155571/

      Delete
  3. Hey, I have a great Idea, and it sounds like all of us need an Anthem Song: Go to You Tube and look up this group,
    Apocalyptica -I Don't Care-
    EVERY word, every emotion in this song, really ring true for those of us that have lived through or are still living with such PURE EVIL in deceptive covering, and getting away with the murder of our spirits and our souls.
    IF we took the stance of the words in this song, maybe it would help us to heal our tattered hearts, and abused minds, from these petty, abusive MONSTERS.

    ReplyDelete